Thursday, July 24, 2008

Supper at Our Condo (Wed. 7/23/08)


This morning Jeremy texted Michael first thing to ask how our beach looked. They had jelly fish EVERYWHERE on their beach. They were so bad that they were just laying along the beach as well as in the water.

After we ate breakfast we went down to look. There were a few down there, but not bad. The waves were still crashing like crazy and the red flag was still out. But, it was nice and people that were already out said they'd seen a few, but not too many. So, everyone decided to come this way. And, I decided to go to the grocery store so we could feed everyone.

I got lunch stuff, but that's not all. I decided it was the night to make supper for everyone. I got what I needed to make Taco Salad. But, we have four picky kids, too so I got some stuff that would satisfy those that would not eat Taco Salad.

When I got back, Michael and Jeremy were already down on the beach with the kids and Kelly. They were setting up the canopy. My MIL and FIL were in the parking lot getting their things out of their car. FIL helped me carry things inside so I could put them away. Michael came in as I was putting things away and he and Jeremy carried more things down to the beach. The left me with only a couple things I had to carry down.

We spent a few hours out there. The jelly fish started coming in more. There were people out in the water catching them in nets. The waves were just incredible. There was not hardly any green stuff in the water today, though. I guess the waves kept it churned up and away or something. But, gosh the sand was everywhere. It always is, but with the waves churning like that you can't get it off of you.

The kids didn't really get to play a lot in the water. Jeremy Jr. was really bummed about that. Bouncing around on the waves is his favorite thing. I don't blame him, that is incredibly fun. Jenessa was so cute. She is becoming a teen already. She'll be 13 next summer. She tried so hard to stay dry and "cute." At one point a wave came crashing up high on the beach and got her wet. She squealed and yelled, "I worked so hard to stay dry all day. It's not fair!" I know she was not happy but it was funny to me.

A little after 2:00 it started getting really dark with clouds. The wind picked up even more. We waited about a half hour and then realized it wasn't going to blow over so we started packing things up. Everyone wanted to get the sand and stuff cleaned off them, too. So we decided everyone would come back here around 6:00 and have supper at our condo. I was excited I finally got to host a meal for everyone. Yes, I know I don't normally like to cook, but this is different and I needed to feel like I was contributing more.

After everyone went to get cleaned up at their own condos, I realized I'd forgotten to get more tortilla chips and we needed more quarters for doing laundry. Michael left to get those. He was also in search of some wine or rum for me. We've had beer in cans since we've been down here because you cannot take glass out on the beach. I don't like the taste of beer in cans.

Kelly and Jeremy got here late because the traffic was horrendous out on 98, which is the main road going through Destin. It took them over an hour to get here. Without traffic it takes probably about 25 minutes to drive between our condo and theirs. I felt sorry for them that they had to wade through that mess. But, was happy to see them.

My poor MIL and FIL. When they arrived before Kelly and Jeremy, Caleb opened the door for them and both my kids said, "Oh, it's JUST Grammy and Papa!" MIL teased Michaela about that a lot. I hope it made Michaela feel a little guilty. But, it was a little funny.

When Jeremy and Kelly got here, I asked Jenessa what she wanted to eat because I knew she wouldn't want the Taco Salad. Jeremy said he'd eat the chips with meat and cheese on them. Jenessa decided she wanted Mac 'n Cheese. My kids said they wanted that too. At home they would eat Taco Salad, but since Jenessa was eating it and we had more people eating, letting them have the Mac 'n Cheese was easier on me.

Once the Mac 'n Cheese was made we all filled our plates to eat. It was really good. I think MIL was the only one not to eat seconds, but she usually doesn't take seconds during big family meals like that. It did taste really good if I do say so myself.

Kelly helped me clean up the dishes. And, we all really enjoyed each other's company. The guys had Deadliest Catch on television and it was a big topic of conversation as most of us have seen at least some of the episodes of it.

We all decided to go for a walk down the street in front of our condo. It was just about dusk time. We walked probably about a total of 1/4 mile just looking at the other condo complexes and talking. It was a very relaxing walk. Michael's dad took a picture of Michael, the kids and me in front of the sign to our condo.

When we got back, the kids wanted to go swimming. So, they got on their suits after deciding which pool they would swim in (we have two at our complex) and MIL and FIL left. Kelly and I broke out the bottle of wine. It was Arbor Mist Island Fruits.

The kids swam until a little after 9:00 pm and then Jeremy and Kelly took the kids and went back to their condo. Michaela and Caleb swam for a little longer. Michael was trying to show Michaela how to dive, but she wasn't really getting it.

By 10:00 the kids were in bed and Michael and I had a little bit of alone time before we fell asleep around 11:00. It was another good day.

No comments: